Copying objects from one GOODS server to another

Yar Hwee Boon hboon at motionobj.com
Sun Dec 12 11:47:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:30:23 +0100, Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:17:13 +0800, Yar Hwee Boon <hboon at motionobj.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm trying to copy objects from one GOODS server to another. A Dolphin
>> program writes to the source DB and I'm trying to copy from the source
>> the destination DB using Squeak. I'm hitting cases where I *think*
>> KKObjectProxy objects are not resolved before copying over. Thus, the
>> destination DB holds an object-id that is only valid in the source DB.
>> e.g
>> this happens to object b when I copy object a which holds object b.
>
> It should be pretty easy to find out if this is actually happening -
> just use the goods command line browser tool to look directly at the
> objects in the DB, which will either include KKObjectProxy or they
> won't.

What I observed was that the a instance holds an object with id X in the
source DB and after copying the destination contains the a instance
holding an object with id X too, but oid X does not exist in the
destination DB according to the browser app.

>> Is
>> there a way to "resolve" an entire object and all its ivars or is there
>> simpler way? Thanks.
>
> I would be inclined to do this as a copy operation - I don't like the

Hmm.. generally using deep copying, one will have to worry about a single
object being copied twice. But this should be ok for my relatively simpler
case. Thanks.

--
Regards
HweeBoon