A roadmap for 3.9 (Plus, [BUG][FIX] Wonderland in Squeak 3.7)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Dec 12 16:43:11 UTC 2004

Hi jeff

> I don't know about the rest of you guys but I liked the fact that
> SystemDictionary and SmalltalkImage were separated into two classes
> which better abstract the actual goings-on; and I kind of loathe the
> bigness and crappiness of SystemDictionary.

I just want to something to the story. I'm not satisfied with
SystemDictionary and SmalltalkImage as there are in 3.8 because
it is difficult to find what and where. The situation is like that
because we are in the middle of the changes. This is why I would have
prefered that we fixed it once for all. (for example by having
SystemDictionary = only a namespace and SmalltalkImage = all the rest
of SystemDictionary that can't move in another place But this path was
the most unstable for external users (mistake of mine)). So now what I
propose is to have SmalltalkImage merged with SystemDictionary (renamed
SystemDictionary too normally this should have no impact), have
Smalltalk pointing to SmallltalkImage uniqueInstance and create a
separate and clean Namespace class (with a backward interface (ie the
methods of SystemDictionary) and delegation+deprecation from
SystemDictionary to Namespace). This way we minimize the changes for
the sake of changes for old code, lower frustration of people like
andreas and enable some changes.

Now the real problem is that if we could set up clear milestones then
we could
	allocate resources
	ask for review
	and be really fast.