A roadmap for 3.9

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Dec 12 16:53:18 UTC 2004

Hi andreas

We had some discussions this afternoon (instead of inventing our future
we talked about the cool situation that we have now in squeak, it was
of course not productive) concerning this paragraph:

> When I read your roadmap, it becomes clear that your major goal is to
> transform Squeak into something that you can do systems research in.
> Your priorities show this clearly - from MC in the base image, over
> RB, traits, new compiler, system dictionary refactoring is everything
> aimed at defining a playground for systems and software engineering
> research. There is nothing wrong with this particular direction but
> *please* keep in mind that there are other interests in the Squeak
> community besides yours and that people with other interests have
> other priorities. Most importantly for those "other" people is
> stability of the base system.

We clearly understand that other people get other needs and we are
extremely cautious about that.

Now if you think that rbengine, mc, traits, new compiler is about
research then this is really sad for all of us. For us those
are just tools so that we can work faster/better and that the community
as a whole get improved. For us those are simple
tools that we can use to create other more powerful ones, make the code
better, manage the image better....
So I can't really know what to say to that. Really I'm was destroyed
and extremely sad today (may be I'm too tired).

Stef