[Bug][Fix] Setting copy/paste-key preference under Windows doesnot work

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Sun Dec 12 16:55:35 UTC 2004

lex at cc.gatech.edu wrote:

> Hannes, if you don't mind, can you read and reply in the
> duplicating/swapping thread?  This is a big list, so following the
> threading is important.

This is my last statement regarding this topic for some time ... :-)

>>http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-December/085261.html
> Your concern about losing possible keystrokes has already been addressed
> and discussed.
Thank you.

First, the keystrokes are *not* lost; they are merely
> moved from ctrl-key to ctrl-shift-key.  Second, you have overlooked the
> cost of documentation for new users.  Instead of saying "press ctrl-v to
> paste", the swapping proposals mean you have to say something like
> "press ctrl-v if you are on windows, or alt-v on unix, or cmd-v on a
> mac".

I do not think I have to document this in the Squeak documentation
as the platform specific general shortcut keys most people know anyhow.
They expect them. And for the absolute beginners for computing I think
they should go for the platform specific keys. Otherwise they have to
unlearn later.

>>But having only the opinion of 4 people is probably not enough as UI
>>issues are relatively sensitive (12..14 would be good IMO).

I still hold this opinion. But if others do not like to participate
then the for should go one.

> The thing is, every proposal is better than what we have.  Additionally,
> this issue has now been discussed *twice* on the public developer's
> mailing list.  I think everyone who cares has had plenty of time to
> chime in at this point.

This is just the point I have been trying to make the last few days.
Thank you for your agreement. So basically whatever you decide if is a
change it is fine for me.

Hannes