A roadmap for 3.9

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Dec 12 17:14:11 UTC 2004

In general, it is good to propose changes, and it is very good to have a
research program lined up for systems engineering.   Don't be surprised,
though, when other members of the community have different ideas,
especially if they use Squeak for a different community.  As one quick
example, Georgia Tech's Squeak-based class typically has around 75
students in it per semester.  Surely we can agree, that it is not okay
to screw these guys over just because they are not active members of
squeak-dev.

The "clean code" jihad is the most extreme.  It is completely subjective
whether code looks better.  In fact, go ahead and add me to the record
as one of the guys who thinks one Miscellaneous class is better than a
lot, and that we should actually merge Utilities and SystemDictionary.
I don't say "uck" when I see a class with many methods; I say "uck" when
I see the same concept ("miscellaneous") represented multiple times.

"Jeffrey T. Read" <bitwize at snet.net> puts it well:
> This is because adding a method to a base class (like, say, Number) is easy and convenient,

<cheapshot>
Heaven forbid that development be easy and convenient....
</cheapshot>

Perhaps we should all take it easy on cleanup efforts that are purely
subjective?  Especially on cleanup efforts that break compatibility with
existing code?

Someone else writes:
> Really I'm was destroyed  and extremely sad today (may be I'm too tired).

Ahh, come on guys.  Squeak is a more democratic group than many other
projects, and thus progress is preceded by lots of discussion; there's
no one around is can (or is willing to) point the finger and then truly
expect everyone else to go along.

So let's discuss.  Start talking about what changes are most important.
And be of good cheer: the future is bright.

Lex