A roadmap for 3.9

Hernan Tylim htylim at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Dec 12 19:33:05 UTC 2004

Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> C. Concerns
> -----------
>
> Concerns are that the rate of change is too high and that the system
> gets unstable and unreliable or that the effort of keeping the old
> packages in line with the new versions is difficult.
>
> This is really a concern. But I think we generally can handle this by
> not including to much in a version. For this 3.8 is a fine example.
> It once was decided that the main goal for 3.8 is the inclusion of
> multilingualisation (with which I am happy). But still a wealth
> of minor enhancements were added. I have been testing 3.8 in the last
> two weeks and with the help of Monticello it was very easy to port an
> application and two utility packages from 3.6 to 3.8.

I just wanted to comment on the concerns part.  I don't think that the
rate of change is the problem. Even if we might aim to a 1 change per
release ratio. If this unique change gets you by surprise and broke all
your code I think that the result would be the same result as we are
having now.

This is beacause this "gets you by surprise" thing is what I read all
over the mails, and I don't understand why. All this work never were a
secret and I think the details were even discussed publicly before being
made, and even if not, all those changes followed the harvesting
procedure. Or didn't they?

Regards,
Hernán