A roadmap for 3.9

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Mon Dec 13 07:57:48 UTC 2004

Josh Gargus wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2004, at 4:31 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

>> b) I don't like the idea of MC in the base image.
>>

> Why not? It's the best thing we have for managing packages.  I don't
> recall having read an argument against its inclusion.

There was one from Michael Rueger.
He wrote

 > Last, but not least: I don't think monticello based on the current
 > philosophy of package info is ready for prime time yet. As long as I
 > can't package a single class or method easily I'm not willing to accept
 > this as the default packaging system. And I sincerely hope that none of
 > you considers writing a package info class to package a single method as
 > a feasible approach.

As I understand the change set mechanism will still be there. The
question seems to be how the updating is going on. Still with the update
stream (loading change sets) or by loading Monticello files.

As a parallel option there is surely nothing to say against it.

> I think that it's more descriptive than SystemDictionary.
>
> Joshua

I agree. An I like the other classes as well (see below)

Hannes

System Support Classes in 3.8 gamma

SmalltalkImage
==============
Comment
I represent the SmalltalkImage and partly the VM. Using my current
instance you can
	- get the value of some VM parameters, system arguments, vm profiling,
	endianess status, external objects,....

	- save the image, manage sources

SystemNavigation
==============
Comment:
I support the navigation of the system. I act as a facade but as I could
require some state
or different way of navigating the system all my behavior are on the
instance side

SystemOrganizer
==============
Comment:
My instances provide an organization for the classes in the system, just
as a ClassOrganizer organizes the messages within a class. The only
difference is the methods for fileIn/Out.

SystemVersion

SystemDictionary
Comment:
I represent a special dictionary that supports protocol for asking
questions about the structure of the system. Other than class names, I
contain (print this)...
	Smalltalk keys select: [:k | ((Smalltalk at: k) isKindOf: Class) not]
			thenCollect: [:k | k -> (Smalltalk at: k) class]