[Q] A new attempt to create a Squeak Test Server + Image Fingerprints

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Mon Dec 13 10:59:20 UTC 2004

Markus,

Markus Gaelli wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I plan to resurrect the Test Server ("Test Server Image Tester" on
> SqueakMap), so it would make sense to have lots of regression tests.

Thank you Markus for this initiative. It is more than welcome.

> The test server basically creates a new image, and loads some packages
> from SqueakMap into this image (could be several base images, not yet
> programmed though), then runs the tests in the new image, where the
> results are collected and put in some mail (later on some web site), and
> the image is destroyed.

For the beginning even a relatively modest thing would be tremendously
helpful.

The use case:

a) take a base image (3.8g for example)
b) follow a loading list (e.g. the packages for full)
c) load a package and create an entry in a log text file
d) do this until all packages are successfully loaded.
e) send an email with the following notes to this list
    (weekly)
    the version of the base image, the packages loaded.

Result:
The sucess of the test is indicated by a email

Error:
The process of loading may stuck. A crude and easy way to detect
this is just a time out superwised by the calling shell script.

The log file gives the last known package which loaded.
An error report describing this is sent to the list as well.

As a package loading list we could start with 'Full'
and later add variants of it.

Later one (when SM has dependencies) your test robot could go to
SqueakMap and load all the packages listed there as compatible with a
certain version. Developers could even check a box that they are
informed automatically if their package does not load.

But for the moment we should limit ourselves to hand crafted package

If you manage to set up this Test Server again that would be a
tremendous contribution for the community. Notably one that safes each
one on the list a lot of trouble ....

I do not see the fingerprint thing to be an issue. Just take the images
from the download directory. They are tagged with the change set version
number. For the beginning that is fine.

Thank you again for this initivative.

Hannes