Now to something completely different (Was Re: MC in basic)

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Mon Dec 13 14:37:31 UTC 2004

On Dec 13, 2004, at 1:14 PM, Hernan Tylim wrote:

> Oh Come on!!!. That's not fair. You can't  just count classes and
> methods.
>
> What is important is not the number of classes but the number of
> 'features' that should be included on a Basic image. So if a I develop
> a Pacman game in only one class and with as less methods as possible.

A not fully featured - (no eating pills) Pacman with only 32 lines of
EToy-Code - including headers:

http://www.squeakland.org/project.jsp?http://squeakland.org/full-
gallery/pacman.003.pr

I think this should be in Squat... ;-)
> Does It deserves more to be on basic than MC ?? Besides, wasn't  all
> the time the idea to add MC *as*a*package* on the image? As today is
> for example  the PackageLoader and the SUnit Test Runner? ??
>
> And last. I will allways prefer a system with many classes but with
> consise and distinct responsibilities, that other with few classes
> that suffer from multiple personality disorder syndrome.
>
> Regards,
> Hernán
>

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> The mere fact of dumping all of the stuff into "basic" is what I
>> don't like.
>> It has nothing to with MC - just that we're going back right to where
>> we
>> started. Let's see:
>>
>> Version    # of classes         # of methods
>> 3.5              1811                 41444
>> 3.6-basic        1338                 33303
>> 3.7-basic        1544                 35548
>> 3.8-basic        1652                 37703
>> 3.9-basic        1700                 38861
>>
>> Raise your hands if you see a pattern. If we add Monticello we get:
>>
>> 3.9-basic+MC     1825                 40434
>>
>> Finally we're on par with 3.5 again - which coincidentally was the
>> version
>> of Squeak where people complained bitterly about all the excess
>> baggage that
>> SqC had put into Squeak. So then we put VMMaker, Games, Celeste,
>> Balloon3D,
>> Wonderland, Scamper into packages. Only to replace them with m17n,
>> SqueakMap, SUnit, Tests, (and soon) Monticello in basic.

Markus Gälli
Hildegardstrasse 3
CH - 3097 Liebefeld

Tel. 0041(0)31-9714334