[Q][DOC] Key mapping and key binding packages

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Mon Dec 13 18:29:25 UTC 2004

Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> Hi
>
> there are Key mapping and key binding tools around called KeyMapper and
> KeyBinding. How do they relate nowadays? Are there other tools?
>
> There was a discussion of loading one in 3.9.
>
> However I would like to use  already in 3.8 some keyboard
> configuration tool.
>
> What should I try loading into a 3.8gamma image?
>

> Hannes

Since I wrote part of Keymapping I can describe what it does...I have
not tested it with 3.8 or 3.9 so please give it a try and let me know.
The newest Keymapping version allows you to assign keyboard shortcuts to
any morph or morph class.  The existing shortcuts in the "full" 3.7
image have been (mostly) converted over so they can be edited with the
Keymapping tool.  This version has not been released since deploying it
seems to take longer to figure out that developing it did.  You can, if
you like, just install the Monticello .mcz from SqueakSource.  At least
one person that I know is currently using that version.  You might find
that you need to:

Keymap findAndRegisterKeymaps

after loading since the initialization script is currently in flux (you
must use the full monticello installer, not MczInstaller, since I
override/add method to many classes which may or may not be in your
image -- MczInstaller doesn't seem to handle this very well).  Anyway,
if all goes well you'll notice that many of the popup menus now show the
Keymapping syntax for key bindings (<m-x> instead of just x, for
example).  If you want to change a binding, hold your mouse over the
morph, press <c-k> (control-k) and the keymap editor will open with all
of the categories relevant to that morph.  Change the entries as you see
fit.  You can also save and load keymaps.  If you have any problems with
Keymapping, please let me know.  I plan to release this version and
would like to squash any bugs before they get into the wild.

BTW, the version of Keymapping on SqueakMap is very old and I don't
recommend it unless you plan to use the "Services" framework.

David

--
C. David Shaffer
http://www.cs.westminster.edu/~shaffer