what is Squeak? (was: [q]squeak is too slow?)

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 13 17:40:36 UTC 2004

This is true, Mark.  It's a public-relations travesty if we have a 6-12
month period where our primary new users all get driven away because the
features they come for are not working.  If users get interested in
Squeak due to reading www.squeak.org, the OOPSLA paper, or any of the
Squeak books floating around, or one of Alan's talks, they will be
looking for:

	- etoys
	- Morphic and its development style
	- the music goodies, especially the MIDI ones
	- Wonderland

I'm sure I've left things off the list, but this gives you an idea.
IMHO, these things really should be easily available from
www.squeak.org.  Either the next version of squeak needs to be
considered super-beta quality, or we need to hunker down and actually
fix up the above things and keep them working from version to version
(at least until they get replaced!).

Now, this is just one part of Squeak.  In addition to being a personal
computer-media development system, Squeak is also a base of research
into languages, VM's, software engineering tools, and other things.  In
short, it's a flexible computer playground.

So that's what I think Squeak is: personal computer media, and
programming playground.  I'll make concrete proposals in the "roadmap"
thread.

-Lex