MC in basic

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Mon Dec 13 21:06:45 UTC 2004

Andreas Raab wrote:

>> The important distinction here, however, is that SqueakMap, SUnit and
>> Monticello (and maybe Tests as well?) are already well packaged, and
>> can be unloaded easily -
>

> Really? If it's a distinction I take it that VMMaker, Games, Celeste,
> Balloon3D, Wonderland, and Scamper are *not* well-packaged and can *not*
> be unloaded easily. Is that what you're saying? Because otherwise why
> would we have exactly those in basic and none of the other ones?
>
>  - Andreas

Andreas,

I would say the point Avi is trying to make is:

As SqueakMap, SUnit and Monticello  are well packaged they do not
actually count towards the complexity of the base image. People who want
an even more basic image can unload them.

So he is not saying that other official packages are not well packaged.

Stephane writes that he would like to see Monticello included in 3.9
base for the reason that fixes can better be handled and ease the
development. As I understand him MC doesn't necessarily need to stay in
the image and he still envisions having a lean image in the future.

For myself I will load Monticello by default in my images as you
probably do as well. I am using it
currently for porting my code to 3.8. Testing is much simpler if I can
throw away an image and reload the whole code from my repository.

-- Hannes