What is Squeak?

Samir Saidani saidani at info.unicaen.fr
Mon Dec 13 20:26:33 UTC 2004

Hi,

I follow the very interested thread about "What is Squeak", and think
that we can indefinitely try to define Squeak, it will only reflect
our own personal interest, or the image of what Squeak must be in our
opinion. So another way to tackle this problem is to let people decide
for themselves what Squeak could be. Which means giving freedom to
people, i.e. ourselves. Squeak maybe is about freedom : could Squeak
let us free to do what we want in Squeak ? So keeping in mind that we
let people free have tremendous consequences in various levels, for
instance commenting the code to let us free to understand alone, clear
organization of classes to let us free to add easily our own
contribution... Modularize squeak parts to let us free to desinstall
or install what fits our needs and hence have differentiate, special
images or linux-like distributions, and not separated images, which
would mean forking. I feel that in this state of mind - let us free -
what we do will be right (even forking if we encounter *real*
limitations !). So the right question maybe is not what is Squeak, but
what are the states of minds working on Squeak...

Cheers,
Samir.

--
Samir SAIDANI