A number of questions

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Tue Dec 14 06:03:55 UTC 2004

Tim, thanks.
On Dec 13, 2004, at 9:49 PM, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Michael Latta <lattam at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I am currently using a 3.7 full image, which is the current download
>> for Mac OS/X that I could find.
> Don't forget that you can use any image with any VM (within certain
> limits - I don't think a 1.6 circa 1996 image works too well on current
> VMs but I could be wrong)

It is not clear from the discussions when a new VM version is released,
only image versioning.  I assume (possibly a problem) that new VM
versions are being developed at least to some degree.

>> I have a number of questions that I am hoping can be answered by those
>> longer on this list than myself:
>>
>> 3) Has there been discussion about using native windows?  Having
>> everything in one window makes use of Squeak for applications more
>> difficult.
> Many. Recently John McIntosh & I released the Areithfa Ffenestri
> project to provide multiple windows (currently mac and RISC OS) and mac
> menu bars (for macs, anyway). Look on the swiki for a couple of
> documentation pages. We've just reworked the package to make it easier
> to use and will be releasing it soon. There are good reasons to expect
> support for it in windows and unix fairly soon.

I will check it out.

>> 6) Where are the best reference materials for the VM ?  For VMMaker?
> There are some pages on the swiki with various VM details, and some of
> the nublue book covers it (Squeak: Open personal computing and
> multimedia, available at any good book store. If it isn't there, it
> isn't a good bookstore). VMMaker is documented on the swiki and has a
> fair bit of doc built into its help window (open VMMaker, press the
> help button) and class comments. There is some doc about the vm in the
> ObjectMeory and Interpreter classes as well but nowhere near as much as
> would be nice.
> Oh and don't forget the BlueBook - Smalltalk-80: The language and its
> implementation, not available quite as readily as the nublue book but
> still occasionally found on ebay, mailing lists, newsgroups and
> Powells.
> And of course, this list; there are a significant fraction of all the
> VM
> implementors here. Ask, and we shall seek to provide enlightenment.
> Usually for free...

I will pick up the NuBlue book.  The ST-80 books I have had for
decades.  I have started to read the comments in the VMMaker category,
and will check the others.  There are platform specific MacOS but not
OSX bits, on OS/X are you using the Unix bits, or the MacOS bits?