[Q][Doc] Diego's Extremadura image (was: Re: A number of questions)

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Tue Dec 14 11:00:02 UTC 2004

 >> Diego is leading a project in Spain that brings Squeak to 80.000
 >> computers in schools. The kids that are supposed
 >> to use squeak are a bit older than the normal eToy kid. He has found
 >> some problems that he's trying to fix. One is
 >> that the completely empy Squeak desktop (with no clue what to do
 >> next)  is very annoying to first-time users who have
 >> seen a computer before (kids and parents). So one thing he did is a
 >> menubar, to make it explicit what
 >> people can do when they start squeak for the first time.
 >> (In germany we have seen the problem, too. A parent said to us: I, as
 >> the parent, start up squeak, can't do *anything*,
 >> do you think I will show that my kids?)

BTW I do not think that the desktop is completely empty. There are
the flaps which are like menus. And computer games often do not have
menus as well and children and adults manage them still.

However I have a few questions regarding Diego's work.

1) Is there a recent status report?

2) Where is the most up to date documentation of Diego's efforts?
(I don't mind reading Spanish, but an English site would be fine as well).

3) On which Squeak version is Diego's image based?

4) Where can I download it?

5) Does it contains packages/subsytems which are not in 3.8 but which I
may readily use?

Hannes