[BUG](FIX] Balloon3D (was: Re: basic vs full image)

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Tue Dec 14 20:40:53 UTC 2004

"Hannes Hirzel" <hirzel at spw.unizh.ch> wrote:

> Hi
>
> 4) What are the problems with 3.8 full?
>     (That 3DBallon/Wonderland does not load / work obviously as we heard
>      in another thread in extenso, but are there other issues?).

Strange: For an 3.8-6527 image I cannot confirm that Balloon3D does not
load.
I loaded first:
   Balloon3DRemoval (1.0)
and then
   Balloon3D (1.0.3)

The Balloon3D demos are more or less ok,
    B3DDemoSurfaces new show2
shows black surfaces, but that is a well-known bug, it has to do with a
change in  B3DIndexedMesh >> vertexNormals

That was:
 ^vtxNormals ifNil:[vtxNormals _ self computeVertexNormals].

Now it is:

vertexNormals
 ^vtxNormals

The new method does not compute missing vertex normals.
As a consequence, we have to care for the computation
of vertex normals when we need them.
( see attachment B3DTutorialFix)

2. --- wonderland ----
When I do
   Wonderland new

I get two wonderlands. This is also a kind of "work" but I think that
here we are bitten by the new initialization pattern. It is not
really difficult to fix that. In fact, after revision of all  class methods
#new and deletion of unneeded
   super new initialize
I can open a single wonderland.

But the problems with wonderland are more difficult to solve.
First, I have the impression that there are many different file formats
available for Alice and the parser in Wonderland > makeActorFrom:
is not prepared to read all these different formats.

In an old Squeak3.4 image this address is given for the Alice objects
files:
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/alice/Objects.zip
This adress is alive and well, I just downloaded the archive.

With these files I could finally load the bunny, but only after I
had changed method WonderlandMesh>>createFromVFBFile:

It should read:

createFromVFBFile: filename
 "Read in a mesh from the vfb file"

 | aFile result |
 aFile _ (StandardFileStream readOnlyFileNamed: filename) binary.
 result := self createFromVFBStream: aFile.
 aFile close.
     ^result

The trick is that  result is nil for model components that do not
have a mesh. In that situation it is wrong to answer an
unfinished instance of  WonderlandMesh. An unfinished
instance of WonderlandMesh cannot be rendered and will
bring up an error notifier!

(To load the bunny, you type:
   w makeActorFrom: 'bunny.mdl'.
in the script window. This assumes that  bunny.mdl and all
support files for that beast are in the working directory.
If you prefer an different directory, you have to do
some magic with path names.)

Attached you find:

1. b3dRed-arbf.1.cs
    A fix that Andreas Raab and Bert Freudenberg
    published some time ago. That fix is very necessary
    for Balloon3D and it is not in the package.
2. B3D TutorialFix.zip
    A fix for the Tutorial that a published a year ago.
    It is not needed for Balloon3D, but for the
    tutorial.
3. WonderlandFixes.1.cs
    This removes the #new methods that are not longer
    needed since we have a different initialization
    pattern. The change set contains also the fixed
    file-in method. I think this should be included into
    a package for Squeak 3.7, but some good soul
    has to review it.

I think number 1. was reviewed, but reviews for
numbers 2. and 3. would be very helpful.

Now my question to the guides and/or maintainers:
What have I to do / what have others to do to bring an
updated sar-file to  SqueakMap?

Greetings,
Boris