A number of questions

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Dec 14 23:23:47 UTC 2004

Ok, well some of the behavior is based on OS9 with overriding different
behavior for OSX. Remember Apple did want to make things easy to port
so many things just
worked without specific os-x behavior, thus inheriting from os-9

On Dec 14, 2004, at 11:15 AM, Michael Latta wrote:

> The question below is that the classes are named *MacOS9* so I was not
> sure if that or the unix code was in use on MacOS/X standard usage
> (what is in the full download).
>
> A separate question: Are you working on the 64 bit VM?  Is it
> available for the G5?  I obtained the files from the CVS repository
> for VMMaker work, but are the 64bit changes in that, or another
> location?

 From a post Ian made in Oct, as yet I've not had time to play with it
much, nor have a G5 handy to run it on.

Just as the title says.  The "release notes" are somewhat long and
involved, so grab them online at:

   http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak64/

Note that it's still very much in the "alpha" stage (so comments,
suggestions, etc., are welcome concerning any part of it) and that it
is not intended for anyone who isn't already comfortable with building
and troubleshooting the VM (problem reports from VM hackers also very
welcome, of course).  Please send any e-mail to both Dan and myself,
direct.  Thanks.

> Michael

>> I'm not sure I understand the question? Technically you can run
>> either the squeak VM as a unix quartz application
>> under os-x lacking some of the historical mac features, it's a
>> traditional unix development environment supported by Ian.
>>
>> Or the original squeak mac VM as a carbon application. That code base
>> is compiled both on os-x using project builder and os-9 under
>> an old version of codewarrior and uses #ifdefs to switch between os-x
>> and os-9 issues. So for example we use carbon events versus the
>> classic
>> getnextevent, or underneath posix UTF-8 file names, versus HFS+
>> names, and unix BSD sockets, versus Open Transport.
>>
>> More merging of the code base will occur over time, certainly once
>> the os-9 classic mac users fade into retirement.  Which VM to use
>> is a matter of personal preference.
>>
>> --
>> =====
>> John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> 1-800-477-2659