internationalisation of squeak: Bitmap font SofijaUC

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Wed Dec 15 01:25:18 UTC 2004

  Hannes,

> Squeak 3.6 (for 3.7 I didn't check because I am changing directly from
> 3.6 to 3.8) has TrueType font loader methods which are still in 3.8.
> Alexander Lazarevic has posted sa code snippets where he managed to
> display a single character of a Unicode true type font. Recently when I
> checked it didn't work anymore. I posted a bug report on Mantis
> regarding this. But in some time TrueType support will be here for
> Unicode as well I suppose.

  I put a reply to your bug report.  If I copy it, it reads:

------------------------
First, this wasn't the problem I introduced^^;

Second, the do-it is wrong, since

     #(12, 18, 24, 36, 60)

doesn't result in a 5-element array, but 9-element array with four #,'s.

Third, if you define #pixelSize: at StrikeFont that is identical to the TTCFont one,

pixelSize: aNumber
    "Make sure that we don't return a Fraction"
    self pointSize: (TextStyle pixelsToPoints: aNumber) rounded.

it runs.

However, you would need to fix the combination rule to render the 8-bit depth glyph correctly.

Lastly, you can say

     TTCFontReader encodingTag: Latin1Environment leadingChar.
     TTCFontSet newTextStyleFromTTFile: 'C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\verdana.ttf'

to use Verdana for some extent.