[Q][Doc] Diego's Extremadura image (was: Re: A number of questions)

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Wed Dec 15 08:58:42 UTC 2004

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:

>>3) On which Squeak version is Diego's image based?
>>

> On this one: http://impara.de/drop/m17n/

Could you indicate more precisely which one it is on Bert's diagram?
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3832  (Release plan for 3.8)

>>4) Where can I download it?
>

>  http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land/234

I did it and it works out of the box on my Windowx XP machine.
Still something exciting given the fact that it is deployed on Linux
machines  for 80'000 users.

If you start up the image you have a question ("pregunta") which asks if
you want to load in updates. I answered 'No'.

The user interface is in Spanish but you can go to the 'configuration'
menu and choose 'poner el idioma' and choose as well English or German.

The whole image gives an execellent impression how an end user system
made in Squeak looks like. Programmers functions are not easily
accessible. I found the menu entry 'Configuration' -> 'switch to expert
mode' opened an inspector on a morph, got a class browser and then the
system browser.

There is as well an iso image (600MB)
http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land/11
Is this a LiveCD like Knoppix?

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/

>>5) Does it contains packages/subsytems which are not in 3.8 but which I
>>may readily use?
>

> All packages it contains are included in the impara image. The (about 200)
>  changesets that this image has are to correct some bugs and (mainly) to change the user interface. You
>  don't need to load any package to use them.

What would it involve to have Diego's menubar as a Monticello package
which can be loaded into 3.8gamma?

Hannes