basic vs full image

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Dec 15 09:12:17 UTC 2004

Hi!

A few quick answers.

Hannes Hirzel <hirzel at spw.unizh.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>
> The valuable post by Wolfgang prompts me to ask about the status of the
> integration of full:
>
> 1) Who is using 3.8 full (i.e. has loaded all the necessary
>     official and other packages)?

Dunno. Michael Rueger is responsible for 3.8, right?

> 2a) Is somebody working on the assembler script for 3.8 full?

Dunno. Don't think so yet. Feel free to create that SM project with a
similar name as "3.7" so that we can find it.
Later we could probably have one package called "Full" with different
releases for different Squeak versions, but make a separate one as for
now.

> 2b) Has somebody a tentative script for creating a minimal 3.8 image?

Dunno. :) The idea is mostly to throw out those packages that the SM
Package Loader claims to be installed.
For MC packages it should be easy. Also - note that SMSqueakMap has
methods for marking packages as not installed - those should be called
properly in such a script.

> 3) Where is the most recent list of the 'official' packages?
>     Is the list up to date? Probably not. Could somebody who
>     knows about this better than I update it please?
>     Probably we have to update and enlarge that list as in the
>     meantime new interesting stuff was made which we want to work with
>     3.8.

Not sure but SM has categories for these so the proper way is to make
sure the official packages are clearly marked as such on SM. Here is the
"Official package in Basic" category:

http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/category/af36d60e-6066-4d68-bae0-90c
459f5b9d8

> 4) What are the problems with 3.8 full?
>     (That 3DBallon/Wonderland does not load / work obviously as we heard
>      in another thread in extenso, but are there other issues?).

Dunno.

Lots of dunnos here. :)

regards, Göran