[RANT] Come on people! ;)

gohu at bluefish.se gohu at bluefish.se
Thu Dec 16 10:03:01 UTC 2004

Hi people!

I am busy today with a pairprogramming experiment, but a quick note:

> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:09:30 +0200, <goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:
> Recently--well, about last month or so--I began installing packages
> from   SqueakMap into my 3.7 image. Not all of them. Just a dozen or
> two. About   half installed without problem, which didn't recommend the
> other half to   me, particularly when there were dependencies that
> didn't install.
>
> The fact that so many wouldn't install was perplexing, because I
> specifically didn't try to install any of the (many) packages SqueakMap
>   said weren't suitable for 3.7. But I'd sometimes get an error message
>   after that which suggested a version mismatch.
>
> It looks like SqueakMap is evolving, though, so I'm not going to focus
> on   that, except to ask if there shouldn't be a "graveyward" category
> for the   projects that don't work with the latest version.

Yes, SqueakMap is evolving. I have a halfworking dependency engine along
the design that I have talked about (for years now... :)) and I intend to
push it out in the next version - which is coming very soon. I intended to
get it out before christmas, but then I got sick for a week and my
schedule kinda slipped. :)
> My next question is whether there is someone going through the packages
>   and testing the abandoned ones for "rot"? And: should there be? If
> so,   that might be another thing I can do. (I've already volunteered
> to help   Goran with the newsletter.)

Yes, I definitely think testing and verifying packages would be a great
thing. Markus Gaelli is working on some kind of Test server which is meant
to be able to automate this (given unit tests of course) but simple manual
testing is also very valuable.
Today there is no real way to contribute with the results without
involving either the maintainer or me (admin) - but the dependency engine
will give us that.
regards, Göran