Smalltalk Solutions

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 14:13:51 UTC 2004

Hi all,

This is just a quick post to plug Smalltalk Solutions.  We've had
increasingly more Squeak-related talks over the last couple of years,
and I'd like to continue that trend this year.  I go to a lot of these
conferences, and I've found that it's a great way to reach out to the
broader Smalltalk community; most Smalltalkers are initially
intimidated by Squeak's outward appearance, and giving talks and demos
is the best way to make them more comfortable and more likely to get
involved with Squeak.  If anyone's interested in giving a talk, email
Alan Knight at knight at acm.org.  Attending without speaking is, of
course, a lot of fun too.

Official announcement follows...

Avi

The Smalltalk Solutions technical program (
http://www.smalltalksolutions.com ) has presentations in a variety of
formats, covering a wide range of topics of interest to Smalltalkers.

- Keynotes are presentations by leading industry figures on topics of
particular interest. Keynote speakers in previous years have included Alan
Kay, Dave Thomas, George Bosworth, and Scott Ambler. Our first confirmed
keynotes for this year is Niall Ross on "The Value of Smalltalk", discussing
his experiences in building complex financial applications, and the benefits
of using Smalltalk. Further talks to be announced.

- Tutorials present technical tpics in-depth, in a hands-on format.
Tutorials are normally a half-day long, and have limited attendance,
offering close interaction with the presenter. Tutorials topics in past
years have included the Seaside continuation-based web framework, tuning
Garbage Collection, Test-Driven Development, the Refactoring Browser rewrite
tool, and the forthcoming Pollock GUI framework for VisualWorks.

- Experience reports and demos present work on Smalltalk projects, sharing
experiences in real-world development and/or showing the capabilities of the
resulting projects.

- Technical talks present an overview of a particular topic. These cover a
wide range of topics of interest to Smalltalkers.

- Birds of a Feather (BOF) sessions are informal discussions organized by
attendees. These are organized outside of the regular conference schedule,
and are often used as discussion forums for particular products or Smalltalk
dialects.

- Camp Smalltalk is an organization dedicated to creating open source
Smalltalk software. We provide space, power and network connectivity for
attendees to participate in Camp Smalltalk efforts.

Smalltalk Solutions is the premier forum for bringing together Smalltalk
users, developers, and enthusiasts. This year's conference will take place
June 27-29 in fun-filled Orlando. Smalltalk Solutions is a Smalltalk
Industry Council Event.

For more information on the technical program please contact Alan Knight at
knight at acm.org