New FileSystem (was RE: About a new roadmap for 3.9)

Russell Penney russell.penney at tincanct.com
Fri Dec 17 05:54:33 UTC 2004

Tim,
   The idea is to do things in 2 parts with FileStream (Standard or
otherwise) being the link between the FileSystem and Codecs. I envisage 2
packages one for the filesystem framework and one for the Codec framework.
Other packages will add codecs to the framework so Ogg would be a separate
package (as would MP3, JPEG, etc).

I will search the archives for the innumerable discussions but could I ask
you what you think is important?
I have a URI implementation that I like and Michael Rueger is sending me
another. The main difference between mine the others I have seen is that I
separate out the extension allowing mapping of filename and extension on
systems that don't support it natively (i.e. RiscOS).

My plan is to have nearly everything written in Squeak with very basic
primitives, that way it allows more control.

Fundamentally there are 3 classes:
File handles file access
Directory handles directory access
FileSystem handles the raw access and provides a unified interface for Files
and Directories.

Russell