Off topic: Education

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Fri Dec 17 08:38:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:19:39 -0800, Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>
wrote:
[stuff about education, some of which I agreed with, some of which I
didn't]

I don't want to get further OT here except to say I didn't do anything to
get inquisitive children. They were born that way; they ALL are born that
way. The state of education today could be described as "the process of
destroying the natural inquisitiveness of the human being." This is not
all about schools, of course. But ask yourself how many people you know
who simply cannot even entertian the thought of learning about a
particular subject (Math being the subject people most love to hate, but
Science, English, History are up there, too) and then ask how many
two-year-olds you know who reject learning about anything (when presented
properly). So, something happens, and it ain't good.

Enough of the negative. On the positive, if one is serious about educating
(one's own) children, a lot more can be done than is generally allowed to
be possible. I reccomend the Institutes for the Achievement of Human
Potential (www.iahp.org). Just for example, my three year old can identify
dozens of birds and butterfly species (well beyond the knowledge of most
adults, to say nothing of the averagely educated).

Using the Institutes material I'm able to teach babies to read, do
"instant math", acquire massive amounts of data, and start them on musical
instruments as toddlers. So...why not programming? It requires far lesser
motor skills than playing a violin. One key element of modern programming
is knowing what's what in an object library, which should be no big deal.

I have a whole bunch of concerns as far as using eToys and Squeak goes.
But I don't see a lot of good alternatives, either.