JIT?

Michael van der Gulik squeakml at gulik.co.nz
Sat Dec 18 04:47:33 UTC 2004

Bryce Kampjes wrote:
> In brief, I've released 4 versions so far. The latest is almost
> useful. It provides a nice speed up for bytecode performance and is
> available on SqueakMap. It only runs on Linux for the x86 and requires
> building a custom VM. I'd rather get it working well on one platform
> first before adding extra CPUs.

I'd like to give you some encouragement and a pat on the back :-). When
I win the lottery I might even consider paying you.

> The plans are roughly:
> 1) Finish a very simple optimiser. This should provide better bytecode
> performance than VW.
> 2) Write a basic PIC implementation. This will improve send
> performance
> 3) Release 0.05
> 4) Convince some people to use it. I'll probably need to provide
> precompiled VMs. That'll involve learning how to make Debian packages.

Debian packages? Nah. Just tar or zip it up. I usually prefer to run all
of Squeak locally anyway; it makes keeping different builds of VM's
apart easier.

> 5) Either port to the ARM or make it fast enough to be interesting.

Could I perhaps encourage the latter option more?

I think that this is a real killer application. I think that you gave a
talk in Sydney not so long ago about Expury, which I unfortunately
couldn't make. I'm dead curious to see how far this goes!

Mikevdg.