New FileSystem

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Sat Dec 18 07:52:24 UTC 2004

Aaron Gray wrote:

> Here we go, answering myself, before anyone else does :)
>
>> Modularity, Namespaces and compatibility layers seem like the (only)
>> way forward
>

> Change sets are an alternative,

Unfortunately not, as the fact that Craig's work didn't get wider
adoption since 1999 proves. ChangeSets are patches.

> and the mechanism for them is already
> there.

The mechanism for loading a Monticello package (through the SqueakMap
package loader and directly) is here as well for some time and it works
fine! We do not depend on the update stream (patching, patching,
patching .....) alone to build a more capable system.

We are actually at the beginning of the phase where I can get a base
image and add the packages I want. The packages have their independant
people working on them and their independant release schedule.

This applies even for an infrastructure package like a New FileSystem.

Hannes