[Newbie] Help! How do I release a project I've uploaded to sm?

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Sun Dec 19 09:58:52 UTC 2004

Hi,
Last night, I posted my first package to SqueakMap
(http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm). (Announcement follows as soon as the
doc. is on my home page).

I spent some time understanding what SqueakMap is all about. Reading
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/36.html SqueakMap today was a
great help.

First question in my mind when seeing the SqueakMap home page was
-  Do I have to 'upload' my package? Do I have to upload it to a particular
repository?
        The answer is no, and I just ignored uploading.

I then spent some time on understanding the 'Add package' form:
-  "For all emails given you can use the Spam blockers "no_spam", ..."
        which emails??? I ignored this.
-  Where do I put the URL for the package? I searched the form up and down
with no result.
    I even posted my package without giving its URL. The I found a new
button: 'edit releases'
        So tha answer was: I of course post the release later, on the 'edit
releases' form.
-  How is the 'Additional categories' list sorted. Answer: probably random.
-  Which homepage? I wanted to reference my package documentation and put
it here.
-  What is PackageInfo? I should probably reread the 'SqueakMap today'.

Then, finding the release form, I wondered
-  Which licence should I select? I don't care and selected SqueakL at random.
-  What's the difference between 'downloaded' and 'uploaded' here?
    I just put the URL for my MC package. It wasn't downloaded and it
wasn't uploaded, but it works.

Yes, it worked!! I started a release 3.7 basic, opened SqeuakMap and
presto! There was my package ready to install!

Impressive. I only spent a couple of hours making SqueakMap do what I
wanted. In my book, that is pretty quick learning a new system.

I did not hit any errors (other than my own), so you must have done
something differently. Did you 'upload' anything?

All the best, and many thanks to the SqueakMap people
--Trygve