[Newbie] Help! How do I release a project I've uploaded to sm?

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 19 22:58:48 UTC 2004

Trygve Reenskaug  wrote:

> <snip>
>First question in my mind when seeing the >SqueakMap
home page was
>-  Do I have to 'upload' my package? Do I have to
upload it to a particular  repository?
 >       The answer is no, and I just ignored
uploading.

Reply:

I need to upload my projects to somewhere first. I am
working without a home base at the moment.
The easiest thing would be to us sm as a repository as
well as a listing.

>  Where do I put the URL for the package? I searched
the form up and down
with no result.
>    I even posted my package without giving its URL.
The I found a new
button: 'edit releases'
>        So the answer was: I of course post the
release later, on the 'edit releases' form.

Reply:

Yes. I figured that out too. Still the way it is
presented is confusing IMHO.

<><snip>

>Then, finding the release form, I wondered
>-  Which licence should I select? I don't care and
selected SqueakL at random.
>-  What's the difference between 'downloaded' and
'uploaded' here?
>    I just put the URL for my MC package. It wasn't
downloaded and it
wasn't uploaded, but it works.

>Yes, it worked!! I started a release 3.7 basic,
opened SqeuakMap and
presto! There was my package ready to install!

>Impressive. I only spent a couple of hours making
SqueakMap do what I
wanted. In my book, that is pretty quick learning a
new system.

>I did not hit any errors (other than my own), so you
must have done
something differently. Did you 'upload' anything?

Reply:

Yes. I did. And could not get sm to accept the
release. So I am specifically trying to find someone.
who has uploaded to sm and then successfully edited a
release.

>All the best, and many thanks to the SqueakMap people
>--Trygve

Reply:

  Thanks Trygve for your help. If I can't get an
answer to my query I'll try loading stuff  to some
other archive and supply the url.

Still if someone has had experience with using the
upload features of  sm to release a package please let
me know what you did.

I also need to say that I am uploading and releasing
things using a IE browser and not from squeak. If
there is a way to do it from squeak I'm not aware of
it yet.

 I previously wrote:

>I keep running into a internal error at least one
>digit expected here.
>
>I have several projects which I have uploaded
>successfully onto  squeakmap.
>I have successfully enter info for the package and
>the went to edit the release.  I edit the release and
>press the button at the bottom to save it and boom
the
>error and no release recorded.
>
>I'm more or less blocked until I find away to get
>around this. Goran said he would look into the
>internal error and get back to me but that was a
while
>ago.
>
>Has anyone out there successfully used sm as an
upload
>site and released a project? If so what did you do?
>Did you run into the internal error. Did you find
away