Another Morphic question

karl.ramberg at chello.se karl.ramberg at chello.se
Mon Dec 20 20:50:12 UTC 2004

Michael Latta <lattam at mac.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer.  This brings up some things about Squeak I find
> disturbing.
>
> 1) Why was the reference not in the class comments?  If you are going
> to have external documentation, at least reference it from the source.

True.

> 2) The referenced page talks about this working in 2.9.  Has it been
> touched since then?

Not much, Dan Ingalls did some fixes a looong time ago.

> 3) Should something this old really be part of the current release
> without someone updating the docs, and possibly commenting the classes?

It's part of a experiment and it's quite cool. But it's not maintained
and there are quite a few bugs and quirks. The hard thing with pulling
stuff like this out is that it's attached quite deep into the
core of morphic.

> There is so much "stuff" in Squeak that are examples, experiments, and
> are not currently in use, it is very hard to identify the parts that
> are really current or of interest.  Yet another vote for a small kernel
> and then identified packages that can be loaded.

But Squeak is also like a old attic where you find you great
grandfathers
wooden leg and a map to treasure island :-)

Karl