[Morphic][Connectors] Loading the connector package into 3.7 (was Re: Morphic questions)

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Mon Dec 20 20:00:21 UTC 2004

Michael Latta wrote:

> I tried loading Connectors, but it was not a good experience:
>
> 1) There was no published version for any Squeak version.

> 2) After saying take any version it could find, it was missing a
> prerequisite.  Loading anyway only loaded code that was missing other
> classes.
> 3) Assuming I did the wrong thing by going to SqueakMap, I went back to
> the SqueakMap page and tried the home page link, only to be told it did
> not exist.
>
> This is not a good testament for Squeak.  I do not know if it is just a
> lot of undocumented magic tricks to make this work, or what.  I would
> really like to use Squeak, but it is getting harder and harder to see it
> as anything more than a collection of unfinished research projects.
If you want to go for something stable take the 3.7 base or full image
as is. Other combinations of packages have not been tested
systematically. There are efforts to build a test server though.

> Please help me correct this impression.
>
> Michael

A recent report of a successful image build with connectors

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-December/085834.html

Dependency information is often not sufficient. The next version of
SqueakMap will deal with this in a better way.

Hannes