JIT?

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 21:45:55 UTC 2004

Mark A. Schwenk writes:
 > On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 17:35 +0000, Bryce Kampjes wrote:
 > > I'm working on a JIT like project called Exupery. Currently it's 10%
 > > slower than VW for the bytecode benchmark. Hopefully it will be faster
 > > in about a month. (VW is much faster for sends but I haven't yet
 > > started optimising them.)
 > > It's just a lot of work and there are only so many weekends per
 > > week. With funding work would go a lot faster.
 >
 > Perhaps I should begin testing this for my applications. I still plan to
 > make good on my pledge of $1000 to speed up Squeak by a factor of 6 or
 > more from Squeak 3.2 performance levels--this offer was buried in the
 > Squeak for Documentation page at
 >       http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2653

0.04 (the current release) should be fun to play with but probably
isn't practical. It speeds up bytecodes but sends are a little slower
than the interpreter. So if you don't mind inlining your inner loops
by hand, it may work.

The next release should be much more useful. It should have both
better bytecode performance and also faster sends.

Thanks for the offer of money. The big thing I'm looking for is
another job in October. It seemed sensible to at least investigate
full time funding for Exupery. I'm now focussing on finishing the
current optimisation, then on to sends.

Bryce