[RANT] Come on people! ;)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Dec 21 06:06:42 UTC 2004

On Dec 16, 2004, at 2:58 PM, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

> Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>> Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
>>> hey goran, no offend intended, but reading this exchange makes me
>>> feel that you should resign as a Guide. or what is a Guide then ?
>>> please read again your own words, and I expect you will find you
>>> were a bit too far here :)
>>>
>> Cool down please, and do the same thing with your words.
>
> what's wrong with my words ? as I said (with a typo), no offense
> intended. my words simply reflect my feelings, and those are not bad
> feelings toward anyone. I have the highest respect for everyone on
> this list. don't you allow criticism ?

Even with "no offense intended", saying that you think someone should
resign is still a somewhat ridiculous thing to say, given that you're
just arguing about general direction strategies.  Although I see that
you added a ":)" for safe measure.

Anyway, um, I think Goran's main point was along the lines that you
can't simply try to convince other Squeakers (or the Guides) to start
working primarily on gearing Squeak toward the biggest group possible.

Now, it is true that some efforts that Squeakers or the Guides work on
may happen to help to bring new people into the community.  (SqueakMap
might even be in this category.)  It is true that fame alone may be
enough of an incentive to try working on something that will have a
widespread impact.  So, sometimes "self-interest" and "working for the
greater good" have some overlap. ;)

- Doug