[RANT] Come on people! ;)

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Tue Dec 21 10:32:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:13:09 +0100, Stéphane Rollandin
<lecteur at zogotounga.net> wrote:

> this is why I first wrote the post were I exposed my concerns about the
> possible breaking apart of the system. to which Göran answered that I
> was plain wrong, while at the same time he said to someone else that
> there should be no guidelines because this is an open source project
> where everybody just does what he likes, no more no less. so I quoted
> this and asked "why are you Guide then ?" in that ackward joke-like
> manner where I admit I've been unnecessarily provocative.

Well, there is guidance in non-guidance in this case.<s>

What I took from Goran's counter-rant was the truism that any attempt to
force an Open Source effort (not just a squeak) toward a goal that don't
engage the full enthusiasm of the community are doomed to failure.

But note, also, that this seems to be addressing many of the major
concerns of said community: Spoon, Tweak, Exupery, etc.

Is it possible that the claims of "If Squeak doesn't have [feature X],
it's doomed" are true? Sure. If not in the global sense, then locally, for
that person who needs [feature X]. If you want [feature X] and an Open
Source project lacks it, your options are to hope that someone implements
it--or to do it yourself. You don't have the right (or power) to direct
development.

I felt guided. <s>