Connectors request

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Wed Dec 22 06:49:44 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 10:32 pm, Michael Latta wrote:
> I guess I do not understand your reasoning for some of these packages
> being separately loadable.  I could see some of them being separate,
> like tools.

There are different distributions of Connectors. For instance, Squeakland has
different needs than the "full" release of Connectors. Further, there are
some packages that are useful alone, like FSM and BroomMorph.

Plus, when I work on something, I like to limit the scope of my changes. If I
had not done this, I would have more than the mere 263 or so versions of the
Connectors package itself that I do have.

> But, to my eye it is way too fine-grained.  I would prefer
> fewer items on the left list, and be able to navigate between the
> various sub-packages in the category pane.  I could see some of the
> items being usable outside Connectors, but oh well.  It is your code
> after all, and I am grateful to be able to start with Connectors rather
> than just Morphic.  After all, this is Smalltalk, I can always
> recategorize them with a change set.

This seems to me like another kind of thing that one should be able to do with
a tool -- to define and manage your own categories.

You might consider another package (that I supposedly maintain but haven't
necessarily updated for 3.7 yet) that allows you to do just this:
StarBrowser.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/