' help '

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Wed Dec 22 20:24:55 UTC 2004

From: <bousso at netcourrier.com>

>I am a beginner in squeak. I wrote " st:=ReadWriteStream on:
>(OrderedCollection new ).st nextPut: 1 ."but it didn't work .
> I have looked at these class and all seem right .
> Would you help me please
Of course.

Please write:

 st := ReadWriteStream on: (Array new).
 st nextPut: 1.
 st reset.
 st content.

The point is, that in Squeak the WriteStream and the ReadWriteStream
cannot be used on OrderedCollections. In VisualWorks you can stream
over an OrderedCollection. The point is that both Smalltalks implement
the growing of an OrderedCollection in different ways; VW with
initialization and Squeak without. This is however a technicality,
and for successful work with Squeak it is sufficient to know
that you should stream over Arrays.

Hope that helps
Boris