Classes in eToys

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Thu Dec 23 09:52:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:31:36 -0800, Alan Kay <alan.kay at squeakland.org>
wrote:

> It's not clear that a "genuine class" is actually what children need. We
> have tried many variations over the years, and are about to try yet
> another.

Well, of course, your goals may be different from mine, as may those of
the children you have in mind versus those I have in mind. My children's
needs are pretty specific: To be able to make programs like the ones they
see and use regularly.

Does this require "genuine classes"? I don't know. I do know that design
concepts are important. I could see traits and refactoring incorproated
into Etoys, and that going a long way.