Three major fixes to morphic and eToys of interest to Squeakland.

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Thu Dec 23 19:31:25 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 9:59 pm, you wrote:

> CurvierMorphs with truly closed curves, TargetSighting
> for Sliders, and Stars that can have any number of
> points and have any amount of pointiness.
>

> I believe these all will be of interest to your
> squeakland users.  These all fix bugs and limitations
> that have been present in Squeak for a long time.

Thanks much, I will look at these!

> All carefully as backward compatible as I could make
> them. All with play-with-me demos.
>
> Are now available on Bob's superswiki and via sm.
>
> http://209.143.91.36/super/637 is my index page on the
> superswiki.

I loaded all three change sets into a Squeak 3.8 image, then tried to load the
CurvierCurves project. I get a message "Reading an instance of
SelectedObjectThumbnail. Which modern class should it translate to?" which is
an indication of a missing class.

Also TheWorldMainDockingBar. Did these projects come from a 3.9 image?

Unless there is a specific need for 3.9 capabilities, these demos would be
easier to test and demo in 3.8, 3.9 and Squeakland if they were 3.8
compatible.

> I writing you hoping for your help in convincing the
> guides to include these changes in 3.9. Please take a
> look at these projects and let me know what  you
> think.

I tried them in a 3.9 image and like them a lot! Nice code, and good things to
have in the image.

You were quite brave to tackle PolygonMorph, and I like the way you came up
with to do the curves. Quite a bit of math there...

Some questions and comments:

* When you change the stars to curves ("make smooth outline") they don't
benefit from the "curvier curves" enhancement (that is, the first/last point
is not curved). See the attached shot. It would be nice to have
rounded-stars. I tried making StarMorph inherit from CurvierMorph and it did
what I wanted it to (see the other image); is there something that
PolygonMorph can do that CurvierMorph can't in this context?

* How about Etoy properties for the star for number of sides, radius, or
"starness" (delta between radius of adjacent sides)? I don't know what the
best terms for these would be.

* I have seen the outer handle jump when I pick up a star with the handles
showing. But you said you fixed this?

* The up/down arrows near the center are very hard to hit, since they're only
a few pixels wide.

* Balloon help would be good, as the user interface is not obvious (especially
the distinction between shift-drag and drag on the handles)

* spelling: flexible, not flexable (in the project)

* spelling: inscribed, not inscibed (on the menu)

> They are in good shape an worthy of being added to an
> unstable version of 3.9.  Once that is done I don't
> believe there will be any problems and certainly none
> I won't be able to fix.
>
> This is my way of appreciating squeak.

It's greatly appreciated, thanks!
--