[ANN] BabySRE (Squeak Reverse Engineering) posted on SqueakMap

hjh-sqlist at lexdb.net hjh-sqlist at lexdb.net
Fri Dec 24 08:37:53 UTC 2004

Trygve

Quoting Trygve Reenskaug <trygver at ifi.uio.no>:

> Hannes,
> First a piece of magic: Yesterday, I used SqueakMap to load Connectors 2.0
> followed by BabySRE. It failed. I then tried Connectors1.9, BabySRE. It
> failed because SqueakMap did not retrieve all of the Baby Monticello file.
> There is some invisible interference. May be through the Monticello cache??

I don't know. However I made the same experience - when I tried to rebuild an
image loading packages into a base image it didn't work the second time.

> Today, I started again with a fresh 3.7-5989 image, fixed the maxWidth bug
> and loaded Connectors 1.9, BabySRE. It worked! Mysteriouser and
> mysteriouser. I clearly have to look into the installation process. I
> probably do something horribly illegal somewhere.

We will have to find out .....

> I do not understand your queation about decompiler. The decompiler is used
> when there is no source code. It converts the bytecodes of the
> CompiledMethod to text, using t1, t2, ... as names for the formal
> parameters and local variables.

> I need more info to be of use...

In the 3.8gamma image where I have SRE working,

I write for example the follwoing method:

  showTab: anInteger
	self removeMorph: currentTab.
	currentTab := panes at: anInteger.
	self
		addMorph: currentTab
		frame: (0 @ 0.1 corner: 1.0 @ 1.1)

After I have choosen 'Accept' the method is displayed as

showTab: t1
	self removeMorph: currentTab.
	currentTab := panes at: t1.
	self
		addMorph: currentTab
		frame: (0 @ 0.1 corner: 1.0 @ 1.1)

So parameters and local variables are replaced by other names (t1,t2,t3.....)

I have checked that the sources and changes files are there.

This has not necessarily something to do with SRE, it just means, that I cannot
fully use that image and as redoing an 3.8gamma image with SRE seems to be
difficult I am somewhat limited.
I would like to use SRE in my current working environment. Currently I use is a
as a tool to analyse code I have written elsewhere. I load it with Monticello
then. And for the time beeing this is fine.

On this list John Pierce did a loader script for 3.8 which he put at
http://www.saltypickle.com/Home/10

I will try to use that next week.

Kind regards
Hannes