SqueakFoundation box

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Dec 24 12:28:57 UTC 2004

Because The InternetOne is going on an outsourcing trip early next year,
and I don't know what services, if any, I will be able to provide for free
to the Squeak community, *and* because I don't think that lots of useful
services should not depend on a single guy/company, I have An Idea[tm]:

I have some virtual Linux machines (the same sort that the squeakmap
machine is currently operating on) running with Bytemark in the UK. It's a
great company, good support, and they give 10% off on open source projects
(I asked, we qualify).

The idea is this:
- I have setup a Paypal account under 'cg-sqf at cdegroot.com'. This Paypal
account is exclusively to receive donations to fund the monthly
subscription fee for this machine;
- I order such a machine as soon as the first month (GBP 13.50) of
donations is in (taking the risk for the rest of the months ;));
- I wil setup a Terminus-enabled site that will give everyone access to
the Paypal account information (everyone = Journeyers and Masters, I
think) for transparency purposes;
- If there is a surplus beyond, say, the next 1 year of hosting, we'll
discuss here what to do with it (probably send it to Squeak e.V.).

Advantages:
- If I go away, someone else can take the Paypal account and the
subscription, everything keeps running;
Disadvantages:
- It'll cost the Squeak community a hunking 13.50 pounds per month...

Vote with your wallet by sending money with Paypal to cg-sqf at cdegroot.com
; if this turns out to be a bad idea and only a bit of funds will come in,
I'll send them back (by rejecting the paypal payments) or forward them to
Squeak e.V.

Regards,

Cees