dispatchFunctionPointer in Interpreter>>executeNewMethodFromCache?

Phil Hargett hargettp at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 28 03:38:41 UTC 2004

I'm using a Squeak 3.8g 6527 image on Mac OS X.  I've built my VM from
Ian Pumarta's latest stable Unix VM sources.

With those same sources, i've loaded the latest VM into my image and
regenerated the VM sources.  WIth the exception of a small number of
other fixes that I understand, I can't figure out is supposed to happen
when methods in the VM invoke dispatchFunctionPointer (and in some
cases, dispatchFunctionPointerOnIn).  The way I read this, the
generated VM should just make a function call to a function passed as
an argument (or looked up in a table using in an index).

I found a reference in June '04 to John Mc putting
"dispatchFunctionPointer" support into his VM, based on Tim's changes.
Anybody have any idea what dispatchFunctionPointer and
dispatchFunctionPointerOnIn should do?  My VM doesn't link because
these functions are missing.

Thanks in advance!