[BUG] Yet another depreciation warning, -- but I can't fix this one. =\

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Dec 28 18:14:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:45:52 -0500, alangrimes at starpower.net said:
> I was bumming around my immage trying to decide what to break next when
> I was in the Balloon3D demo world. I had been using it before,  I had
> managed to add several actors to the world and since hardware accel
> started working, it works very smoothly too. =P
>
> Then I got the nation of scrolling through the list of actors
> vertically... -- I got this error...
>
> It's possible this has already been fixed but I'm using a stale
> instance, I really don't know.
> =\
>
> I am beginning to have serious misgivings about 3.8...

Generally, you should not have the #showDeprecationWarnings preference
turned on in a gamma or final image such as 3.8, if you're just trying
to get work done.  If it is turned on, expect that you will see the
warnings pop up sometimes.

#showDeprecationWarnings should definitely be turned on in the alpha
stream, though, so we have some incentive to clean up this stuff, within
the base image at least.  This was turned on in 3.9alpha.

That horizontal scrollbar deprecated method is pretty nasty, I admit,
and should have been cleaned up earlier.  I will probably clean it up in
3.9alpha soon (now that I'm constantly reminded of it since it happens
whenever you try to scroll anything, and I have to turn off
#showDeprecationWarnings in order to get anything done).

> 3.7 is turning out to be the most broken Squeak I've ever touched. Some
> of my favorite -- almost essential -- packages on Squeakmap such as the
> variables pane for the browser don't work very well at all on this
> version. =\ -- Expect me to flood the list with bug reports over the
> next several days... =(

The Variables Pane package is only listed as being compatible with 3.4
and 3.5, so I wouldn't necessarily expect it to work in 3.7.  Squeak has
never been particularly backwards compatible, although we are making
some efforts to mitigate the situation, such as the deprecation
mechanism which was added in 3.6.

- Doug