System profiling tool needed

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Dec 28 18:38:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:26:10 -0800, "Michael Latta" <lattam at mac.com>
said:
> I am trying to track down why I am getting poor UI performance when
> dragging a connected morph around.  The use of spyOn and
> TimeProfileBrowser both time the execution of a block.  I could use
> these with code that executes only once at some point in the process,
> but that almost requires that I know where the issue is before I start.
>   In Java environments the profilers support timing all activity in a
> session.  Is there something in Squeak that allows this type of system
> wide monitoring?

Yes.  Go to the "debug..." menu and select "start MessageTally" (or
"start/browse MessageTally").  Then, perform your operation in the UI
that you want to profile.  Then move your mouse up to the top of the
window (as instructed).

This will give you a profile of what's going on in the UI.  (Although it
won't profile what's going on in other processes, but the UI process is
usually what you want to profile anyway.  You could open a
ProcessBrowser if you think some other Squeak process is hogging the
CPU.)

- Doug