Connectors: What Are They?

hjh-sqlist at lexdb.net hjh-sqlist at lexdb.net
Thu Dec 30 06:26:22 UTC 2004

Quoting j <thej at shaw.ca>:

> > I use Connectors whenever I want to make a diagram or picture,
> > especially
> > when I want to show something to a person accustomed to PowerPoint
> > slides.
> >
> So when you make a presentation using connectors and plotMorphs, how do
> manage the "slides" ? Surely the screen isn't big enough for your
> presentation.
>
> Do you use book Morphs? ..or something else?
>
> THEj

I just use one Morphic project as one slide. I do this in full screen mode,
which especially looks interesting as people are not used to the idea having a
screen where you do not see any GUI elements and still can work in with ease.
Well there are the flaps. I created my own flaps (parts bin) where I keep
StringMorphs in different point sizes and colors to add to the consistency.

(Side note: well Tim, you see, I do not use a top menu bar .....)

I often have one central slide (like in the 'Worlds of Squeak') from where I can
branch off to separate slides and come back to the point of departure - like a
brain map with 'sub-brainmaps', where I have graphical links to. It is easier
for me and the poeple as well to present something. (A kind of top-down
approach).

The ProjectViewMorph links are very nice. If you have e.g. a dark blue
background in the central slide it looks very nice. You can resize them to
accomodate to your needs.

I often have another project apart called 'Slides' where I create the slides. A
slide can be reused in different presentations then more easily.

I added a 'add-jump-to-project' menu entry to the class StringMorph, so any
string in Morphic world can be a hyperlink to another project as well.

In addition I changed the snap in grid distance to a relatively large value, so
that the elements are easier to align.

And what is really astonishing. If you have done these preparations mentioned
above, you can work on the presentation during presenting, i.e. collect
feedback and put it down for everybody to see (like on a whiteboard).

In fact Squeak can be used nowadays as a 'dynabook' if you are ready to take on
some effort to customize it for your needs.

On an off I have been working on a HTML export function (using DIVs for
RectangleMorphs and CSS for absolute positioning). It works quite nicely and in
the not so distant future I will put it on SqueakMap. In the web browser I
switch as well to full screen mode (often F11-key).

HTH

Hannes