StandardFileStream not closing files immediately

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Fri Dec 31 11:35:54 UTC 2004

"Yar Hwee Boon" <hboon at motionobj.com> wrote:
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: StandardFileStream not closing files immediately

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:58:09 -0800, Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > See if you can find a tool that monitors the files that are open to let
> > you check which files are the problem. I have one but it's for RISC OS
> > which is unlikely to help you...
>
> I'm using Sysinternals' Process Explorer. Great set of utilities from them
> for developers on windows.
Yes, a beautiful tool. Regrettably, I experienced problems when I ran
it on a Windows 98 system.

> It does confirm that the file that are open.
> I'll just have to put it down to, probably some silly mistake I'm making
> or like you had suggested, a platform mismatch/oddity. Thanks for the
> suggestions.

For simple file operations, I cannot confirm that a StandardFileStream
is left open. However, we have methods that open files but never
close them.
Attached you find a test suite with 7 test examples. test6 fails because
of wrong usage of a MimeDocument, but the other tests are ok for me.
Can you please run these tests on your machine?

Also, I think that example code that runs into problems in your machine
would help us to analyze possible problems.

Gretings,
Boris