Student Perceptions

Aaron Lanterman lanterma at ece.gatech.edu
Sun Feb 1 18:30:52 UTC 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, David T. Lewis wrote:

> I don't know if Georgia Institute of Technology even has a college of
> liberal arts, but consider how the situation might look if "computer
> science" could be taught in the school of liberal arts rather than
> engineering.  Looking back at my two undergrads, one in a school of
> liberal arts and the other in a school of engineering, I think that
> learning Squeak in the school that taught anthopology, political science,
> and music would have provided a very worthwhile educational experience.

That's very much in line with Alan Kay's thinking, it seems...

Mark Guzdial teaches an "intro CS for nonmajors" class here at Tech. He
wound up picking Python as the language - it's pretty easy to learn and
teach, none of this public static void whatever business, but mostly he
could "sell" the language - "look, Google uses it! Industrial Light and
Magic, they're an arty kind of thing, they use it!" etc. But what really
makes his class work is that it focuses on multimedia, where the students
use their own media as the source.

- Aaron

Dr. Aaron Lanterman, Asst. Prof.       Voice:  404-385-2548
School of Electrical and Comp. Eng.    Fax:    404-894-8363
Georgia Institute of Technology        E-mail: lanterma at ece.gatech.edu
Mail Code 0250                         Web:    users.ece.gatech.edu/~lanterma
Atlanta, GA 30332                      Office: GCATT 334B