Squeak Internet-Based Training

Ed Grant CEO at EdGrant.com
Mon Feb 2 03:19:00 UTC 2004

 Does anyone know if there are training movies (i.e., MP3, AVI or FLASH) on
the Internet about how to use Squeak?

 I think this would be an excellent way to instruct and ease people into
Squeak worldwide.

 For example, there could be modules of increasing difficulty teaching how
to:

  1) Get around in Squeak (i.e., Menus, Transcript, Workspaces, Browsers).
  2) Put together a counter project.
  	a) Add MVC type view to the counter model.
  	b) Add Morphic view to the counter model.
  3) Put together a bank account project
	a) Add MVC type view to the counter model.
  	b) Add Morphic view to the counter model.

 This would allow newcomers to see nuances which cannot be relayed via
writings and take away some of the shock many of them experience.

 There could also be movies teaching how some of the major used classes and
messages work.

 Could these movies be loaded as a project and viewed using the Squeak-based
Flash classes?

 I even think this could be setup to be a charge-per-module and would help
raise some money to do more modules or to help market Squeak.

 I really think this would give newcomers a gigantic head start and would
make Squeak more approachable. This would probably be the next best thing to
sitting next to and watching an experienced Squeak programmer in action.

 Ed Grant
 Business Development
 www.EdGrant.com