How are Block Closures?

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 3 00:03:19 UTC 2004

Chris Muller <afunkyobject at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi!  I am really looking forward to Block Closures in the stock image.  I tried
> to give myself a preview.  In the latest 3.7, I loaded SmaCC, GeneralEnh and
> then followed the instructions for ClosureCompiler (fixing deprecated
> references before loading).
> One thing I noticed was the image slowed down tremendously.  I understand the
> VM needs rebuilt.

The block closure prims were built into the 3.6.2 Windows VM (which is
the latest one, dated 11/12/03), so use that one.

> For some reason, I wasn't able to load the test cases, so I tried this
> expression:
>   | b |
>   b := nil.
>   b := [ : n | n > 0 ifTrue: [ b value: n-1 ] ifFalse: [ n ] ].
>   b value: 10
> I couldn't seem to get it to evaluate.

I had problems loading the test cases too into 3.7.  I have ignored it
for now, since Marcus Denker was in the middle of incorporating Block
Closures into 3.7 piece by piece.  Currently, I just load it into 3.6
using the latest Windows VM and it works fine.

> Oh well.  The important question is, how is this effort coming along for 3.7?

Marcus was working on this, but I haven't seen much activity from him on
this lately (past month or two).

Marcus, thanks for doing this.  I need someone to review and incorporate
it.  I shouldn't do it myself since I am the developer, but I will be here to
fix any bugs.

Cheers,
Anthony