Gtk2 coming to Squeak...

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Feb 6 08:23:26 UTC 2004

"Blanchard, Todd" <todd.blanchard at cendant.com> wrote:
> Goran : Very cool!  Just a suggestion:
>
> If you're going to play with something like that, why not do it with this?
>
> http://wxwindows.org/
>
> Then us mac people could play too.

I know about wxWindows and many other alternatives too. I took Gtk for
several reasons:

1. It is C-focused. So are Squeak plugins and the make structure etc in
Squeak. AFAIK wxWin is C++, not sure if I want to go there... :)

2. I have heard here and there that wx is slow and also suffers a bit
from the LCD problems (is that the right name? Least Common
Denominator?). But that is just hearsay. Not sure about how wx evolves
nowadays, is it live and kicking like Gtk?

3. I like Gtk. :) It looks very nice, seems to have a lot of momentum
and is AFAIK very themeable.

4. The license, LGPL.

5. Gtk is getting more and more portable.

And last but not least - if we get this to work properly - there is
nothing stopping us from trying other kits too like wx. Quite a few
problems should be common in all this.

regards, Göran