Desktop and netpaths in Windows

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Fri Feb 6 10:19:56 UTC 2004

Am 06.02.2004 um 05:10 schrieb David T. Lewis:

> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 04:32:32PM -0800, Michael Rueger wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> is there an (easy) way in Windows to
>>
>> - refer to the Desktop (or the user document folder)
>> - to enumerate network paths?
>
> Network paths would just be mapped to drive letters, which from
> Squeak are: "(FileDirectory on: '') directoryNames"
>
> An agreed naming convention for the the drive letter assignments
> and directory names may be all that's needed in many situations.

I thought drive letters are a thing of the past now? Isn't the Explorer
structure mapped to the file system? On MacOSX, for example, the
desktop folder is simply "$(HOME)/Desktop". Network shares can be found
at "/Network" (which is managed by the automounter). That means I can
access the shared folder on a remote Windows machine by simply pointing
my Squeak file list to "/Network/WORKGROUP/MACHINE/SharedDocs".

In case MS didn't make it so simple, maybe the Win32 directory
primitives could be extended to return the current list of available
network shares when given the directory "\\"? Because you can then
browse a remote machine by opening "\\MACHINE", right?

- Bert -