MacOSX USB tablet support

Javier Diaz-Reinoso javier_diaz_r at mac.com
Fri Feb 6 16:49:19 UTC 2004

A few months ago I reported that USB tablets are not working in Squeak,
the reply by John M. McIntosh was that the current support are only for
the (old) serial tablets.

I got the sources of the VM and then I search for documents about the
USB tablets in wacom.com, for MacOSX there are the file
EN0056-NxtGenImpGuideX.pdf wich contains a lot of information for
implementing the support.

The principal point is: OSX add to the (carbon) mouse events extra
information when the source is a tablet, such as pressure, tilt,
etc..., I think the class Sensor implement this in squeak, but at the
moment call a (extra) primitive, need to be modified to receive that
extra information in the default mouse event.

A secondary point is implementing proximity events: MouseEntered and
MouseExited, this are used to determine: "if the tip or erasure end of
a pen is in use", I don't think this is implemented in squeak/morphic.

For the VM the principal changes needed are using ReceiveNextEvent
instead of WaitNextEvent (there are an example in the PDF), and put the
extra data in the squeak mouse event.

Javier Diaz-Reinoso
Web: http://homepage.mac.com/javier_diaz_r/